Joling小玲
What's the difference of "give enough" and "give enough of" here? The only thing we never give enough is love. VS The only thing we never give enough of is love. Which one is right? Or both are right, but different meanings? If yes, what's their meanings? Thank u so much!
7
0
Consider the form of the sentence. "I gave him enough love." Here, "enough" is an adjective describing the quantity of noun "love". "What we gave him enough of is love." Here, the sentence is searching for something to describe "what". When we do this, the sentence takes on the following structure: What + Subject + verb + "enough of' + object. What he doesn't get enough of is exercise. He doesn't get enough exercise. What do you have enough of, money? Do you have enough money?
Use 'enough of' when it's followed by a pronoun or determiner: 'I need more sleep; I can't get enough of it.' 'Shut up! I've heard enough of that noise.' 'I love oysters—can't get enough of them.'
Oh, thank u, my frd. The whole sentence is" The only thing we never get enough of is love, the only thing we never give enough of is love." I just read it from a book.
The only thing we never give enough of is love. - correct. you need the "of" to specify what "the only thing" is Without using "of" you can only say - We never give enough love. Which if different, or not as specific as what you are trying to say
Joling小玲
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, French, Korean, Spanish