Ardavan
Why this one is correct?! I've been reading a book which is about IELTS writing section (Academic version). The question is choose the correct one in each pair (a or b). I can't understand the logic neither it provides no explanations in answer key. 1. a) The pie chart represents the main types of employment. (correct) b) The pie chart shows the main types of employment. 2. a) The graphs indicate information about total government spending. b) The graphs provide information about total government spending.(correct)
7
0
Your question should be 'Why is this one correct?'. If you're hoping to take IELTS, you need to pay attention to basic grammar... As for the answers, I agree with James. 1. This is pure nitpicking - I don't think there's anything wrong with 'shows'. 2. This is correct. You give, supply or provide information, but you can't indicate information. Indicate means 'points to', so you could, for example, say 'These graphs indicate a trend'.
"Why is this one correct?" or "Why are these ones correct?" (Please don't write "?!" - it makes you look like an angry child.) To clarify question 1, I suspect it's a question of register and you are expected to choose the word which has the appropriate formality. This makes the only possible answer "represents" (formal register), even though, by definition, "show" is not wrong. If you are working on the IELTS Academic test, then you must use academic language.
Some of these IELTS questions are borderline nitpicking in my opinion! Even though a native English speaker would understand these perfectly, it comes down to the subtle meaning of "represents" versus "shows" in the context of a pie chart and its data, and second, that graphs don't "indicate information", they indeed "provide information". I'm not sure if this helps?
I would say that number 1 is a really badly framed question. It may be that the person that wrote the question would argue that the word "represents," implies design - that the pie-chart was created specifically to provide a visual representation of the main types of employment. Perhaps, as Peachey suggest, it's supposed to be about simply picking the more formal word. But I cannot say that I was ever told (when I studied at University) that I had to use a very formal type of language in my essays so I am not sure that it is useful to provide students of English with a type of training that implies that they must do so. Apart from anything else, most people that have to mark things appreciate it when the content that they have to mark is as clear as possible. The use of formal language tends to make things less, rather than more, clear.
Ardavan
English, Persian (Farsi)