Felix
3 worst episodes vs 3 of the worst episodes in this season Hi Sir/Ma'am, I'm wondering how to express that the 3 episodes I've just watched are the worst in this season, but the other three is pretty good though in a native, formal and informal way. I'm talking about a series I just watched and there's a total of six episodes in this season. Thanks.
12
0
Hello Felix. Three worst episodes means that these three are the worst. There are none worse than these three. When you say three of the worst, it implies that there are more bad episodes, and these three are part of those 4, 5 or more bad episodes. Not meaning they are the actual worst. He is the best football player in the world. (number 1) He is one of the best football players in the world (in the top 5, top 10 etc.) I hope this answers your question. Aleks
I think you should avoid using “worst” in this context. “Worst” creates the impression that the other episodes aren’t very good either. It would be better to write something like “I have just watched three episodes of this season that were awful/terrible/bad (or whatever you think they are), but the other ones were quite good/pretty good. You could also say the bad episodes “sucked” - that’s informal. Or you could say “they were crap” - also informal.
I will allow someone else to explain it to you. (I admit, I relish in a guilty pleasure here: This is redolent of Ultimate Finality #5 or Final Destination No. 7.) "It goes from bad to worse, and then to worst." Since, these questions are about learning a language, let me say that "worst" is the superlative form, so if something is truly the "worst," then it of the greatest or highest extreme of something that is unpleasant or bad in quality. Basketball She was a bad player, but her sister was the worst player on team. (Which means she was to the highest extreme of playing poorly, and the only player at that level.) Politics He was a bad president, but Johnson was worse; yet, Nixon was the worst. I hope that helps.
Felix
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, Japanese, Russian