chris
Japanese Compound? Words I am quite new at learning Japanese and have been looking at the meanings/derivation of some akido terms a noticed that some changes occur when put togetherand would like to know if there any rules as to how this works. I have also noticed that some of terms don't have the same meaning as dictionary definitions.  im using hiragana as i don't know enough/correct kanji yet ぎゃくがまえ  (GYAKU-GAMAE ATE) ぎゃく(GYAKU) かまえ(KAMAE) あて(ATE) あいがまえあて (AI-GAMAE ATE) あい(AI)かまえ(KAMAE) あて(ATE) わきがため   (WAKI GATAME)わき (WAKI) かため(KATAME) the か -> が when combining them does this occur often, with any other syllables and are there any rules for when it occurs?
4
0
Hi. I think there must be some rules that you mentioned. I can't make it clear completely but these changes don't tend to occur on the first letter. Just to make pronunciation easy, we say for example, げたはこ ⇒げたばこ shoes box  やきかし ⇒やきがし baked sweets So, as you used to Japanese, You'll think it just natural too. Keep on studying:)
the "akido" was a typing error that i missed, i think the others were typos as well, im still getting used to use windows IME, and can't see errors like that yet ill correct them
I'd like to leave some suggestions for your Japanese. (akido --> aikido/aikidou, ぎゃっく --> ぎゃく, かてめ --> かため)
Hi, I'm not a profesional teacher and my English isn't good to explain well. It's like "a" and "the" in English. Their pronunciatiom have to be changed depending on the following word, right? (a car, an orange, an apple / the car, the orange, the apple) For your examples, it's not because of the vowel but there are so many words like them because of the combination.
chris
Japanese