Felix
What would you do if you encounter someone you don't know how to pronounce his/her name right? Many people whose main languages are not English have names in English that are strange or difficult to pronounce. What would you do if you encounter one of them both in formal and informal settings? Thanks in advance.
8
0
I would generally apologize and ask how to say it. --- I'm so sorry I don't know how to say your name, would you tell me?
As someone with a really weird and unusual name, I appreciate it when people try but don't act like it's causing them an inconvenience to say it. It's also nice when the person acknowledges that they don't know. Something along the lines of: "I'm sorry, I don't know how to say your name, but I want to get it right." We people with strange names are usually appreciative of a little effort and are used to people mispronouncing them.
For most people, they are used to hearing their name pronounced wrong, I think it is acceptable to ask them how to correctly pronounce their name. Ideally you apologize for not pronouncing the name correctly and make a conscious effort to do so in the future.
Felix
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, Japanese, Russian