sueyanglala
How to understand this sentence? "The beauty of this was driven home to me the summer Jane died." We set a place for blame at the dinner table. But the Whites didn't worry about who had done what. They picked up the pieces and moved on with their lives. The beauty of this was driven home to me the summer Jane died.
27 ott 2016 10:19
2
0
The expression "driven home to me," means that something becomes very obvious or evident to somebody. This passage means that the White family did not spend time looking back into the past to blame anybody for something that happened. The speaker is saying that, when Jane then died (which was in a summer) then the benefits of not looking back and blaming people became obvious to them (the speaker). The expression "we set a place for blame at the dinner table," means that the family of the speaker had been blaming somebody for whatever happened.
27 ottobre 2016
sueyanglala