KevinPeng
the meaning of "take some long-shot risks "
3
0
The expression "long shot" comes from gambling, particularly horse racing. A "long-shot bet" is a a bet which you will probably lose--but if you do win, you win a lot. For example, if almost everyone thinks a horse will lose, bookmakers are willing to take bets "long odds," like "20:1 against." If you bet $10 and the horse loses, you lose your $10. However, if by some miracle the horse does win, you win twenty times your bet, or $200. Because you are almost certain to lose, it is a high-risk situation. However, if you are willing to take the risk, the risk may be justified by the possibility of a very high reward.
Hi Kevin! A "long-shot" is something that has very little chance of succeeding. For example: "She was so smart, and I knew it was a long-shot that she would date me, but I thought I would ask anyway!" So to take some "long-shot risks" means to take risks which have very little chance of being successful.
Thanks everybody, I get it!
KevinPeng