zuotengdazuo
Why use "in the day" instead of "on the day" in this sentence? Many people work ____the day and sleep at night. Why use "in the day" instead of "on the day" in this sentence? Thank you.
5
0
Hello Zuotengdazuo! Generally "in the day" is used to describe things that happen during the day. On the day describes events that happen that day. Examples: On the day of the interview, I wore a blue tie. The event was "the interview". On the evening of the murder, I was watching TV. The event was "the murder" I prepare my lessons in the day and give classes in the evening. In the day here describes an action and the time of day. I eat breakfast in the morning and dinner at night. Again, it describes the action and the time of day the action happens. I hope this helps! Amanda
On the day = on a particular significant date Jane was very nervous during rehearsals for the concert, but she was fine on the day. In the day = during the daytime (any day) Hamsters sleep in the day and are awake at night.
I would say 'Many people work during the day and sleep at night' or 'Many people work in the daytime and sleep at night' instead.
zuotengdazuo
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese