Mikkel
So it goes - for native English speakers only In Kurt Vonnegut’s novel Slaughterhouse-Five, the phrase “so it goes” is repeated throughout the book. My question is, do any of you native speakers ever hear this phrase used or do you use it yourself? Thanks very much for your participation!
2016년 10월 29일 오후 7:02
21
0
In my experience it's not real common but it certainly is understood when used. It seems like it's one of those phrases that has been and will be around forever. By the way, Vonnegut is what I instantly thought of as soon as I read your question. http://www.avclub.com/article/15-things-kurt-vonnegut-said-better-than-anyone-el-1858 13. "So it goes."
2016년 10월 29일
Yes, it's a reasonably common expression. However, Vonnegut made it a kind of personal trademark or catchphrase. It expresses resignation, weariness, or a sense of futility... but not sorrow or despair. Here are a number of ways you might express this kind of mood. "So I hurried like crazy to get there in time, and found the meeting was cancelled. Well, so it goes." "I was really disappointed when I didn't even win honorable mention in the contest. Oh, well. Life goes on." "Win some, lose some." "Tomorrow is another day."
2016년 10월 30일
I wasn't sure of the meaning and so I checked http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/books/review/and-so-it-goes.html If I understand the meaning well, in the UK, we would say: "(And) so it goes on."
2016년 10월 29일
Yes. It is a common expression.
2016년 10월 29일
I should have done this before. I like doing a Google site search of Project Gutenberg, which searches a big corpus of books published before 1923, to check for examples of usage. Here are some non-Vonnegut examples, and some use the U.K. variant Michael mentioned, "so it goes on." I wasn't quite right; it doesn't always express resignation, sometimes it's just way of saying "that's the everlasting routine" or "that's the way it is in the world." site:www.gutenberg.org "so it goes" "So it goes, and so it went, from year to year: a little showing now and then, like the iceberg's tip, from which to guess the bulk below." "[A dishonest grocer would go to jail]. And so it goes in every business but finance--finance, the most important of all..." (About obesity) "...riding a horse doesn't reduce a fat man. It merely reduces the horse. So it goes—the fat man is always up against it. His figure is half-masted in regretful memory of the proportions he had once..." Here's a good one; Robert Frost (U.S. poet and Nobel laureate), free verse. I think this is very close to the way Kurt Vonnegut uses the phrase. "For, dear me, why abandon a belief Merely because it ceases to be true. Cling to it long enough, and not a doubt It will turn true again, for so it goes. Most of the change we think we see in life Is due to truths being in and out of favour."
2016년 10월 30일
Mikkel
Chinese (Mandarin), Danish, English, German, Swedish
English, Swedish