Pelin
Are these all OK and natural? Could you help me setting the table? (before dinner) Could you help me laying the table? (before dinner) Could you help me clearing the table? (after dinner)
29 de oct de 2016 23:01
3
1
All make sense, but it would be more natural to include with/by: "Could you help me with setting the table" = I am setting the table, can you help me? "Could you help me by laying the table" = Someone needs to lay the table, can you? In response to the comment: to 'lay' the table is to put plates, cutlery and any other things needed on it for a meal. It's common in British English, but rare in American or other dialects.
29 de Octubre de 2016
In America, we would say, "Can you help me set the table?" or "Would you please help me set the table?" Likewise, we could say, "Can you help me clear the table?" or "Would you please help me clear the table?" We would never say "lay the table" in America. But Zach's explanation above is equally good, and clearly reflects the British perspective.
30 de Octubre de 2016
What do you mean by laying the table ?
29 de Octubre de 2016
Pelin
English, Turkish