Chris
Help me understand these sentences? Hi! I just want some help deciphering some grammatical constructs in Spanish sentence I'm reading. I'm not used to the past tenses and it's a bit hard to understand. The sentences are from a blog post. "Me gustaría hablaros de una tendencia que he descubierto hace relativamente poco y que seguro que vosotros habéis visto en la red..." My questions for this sentence : 1. what does the "hablaros" do in the sentence? I can't find it as a conjugation of hablar. 2. I understand "he descubierto" means "I have discussed," but why is followed by "hace relativamente" instead of just "relativamente"? 3. What does "que seguro" mean in this case? 4. "La red" means computer network when I look it up on Wordreference... can I take that to make "the web / internet" in colloquial English? Thank you for your help!
4
0
Hello Christina: First of all, that text has been written from someone living in Spain and also "hablaros" is not conjugational form but a colloquialism To help you, I will re-write the text, add it's translation and then I'll proceed to answer each of your questions: "Me gustaría hablarLES de una tendencia que he descubierto hace relativamente poco AUNQUE ESTOY seguro DE que ustedes ya lo han visto en la red..." -- "I would like to talk about a new trend that I have recently found, Something that maybe some of you have already seen on the Internet.." Q1. -- "Hablaros" es lo mismo que "hablarles" es un modismo de los españoles. Q2. -- "He descubierto" means "I have discovered" or "to find out" Q3. -- Seguro means to be sure about something Q4. -- Yes it means the web or the internet Espero haberte ayudado. Saludos,
1. It's not a verb form. It's simply an example of an infinitive + an object pronoun which is what you can do in Spanish. In this case it's hablar + os -----> "hablaros" as the speaker is talking to a group of people: "...que vosotros....." 2. "Descubierto" means "discovered." Then you need to see the next phrase as a whole phrase i.e. "hace relativamente poco" which I think is referring to the fact that the "discovery" was made a short time ago. 3. "That I am sure" although you may also see "estoy seguro" 4. Correct, yeah
Chris
French