Bunch
I read an article about a boy locked in a wardrobe by his mother for 3 years. "Yonatan Aguilar, 11, who weighed less than two-and-a-half stone, was sedated by liquid sleep aids. The little boy found dead at his family home had been locked in a wardrobe by his mother for three years. His mother, Veronica Aguilar, claimed he has been sent to live at an institution in Mexico. Only the 39-year-old's three older children knew that their brother was locked inside a wardrobe just feet from their bed. They told police they were forbidden by their mother from telling anyone. Court documents show Aguilar kept her sedated with a sleep-inducing syrup." Q1. "...weighed less than two-and-a-half stone." It sounds weird. Why stone? A stone doesn't weight a lot. 11-year-old boy who weights 2.5kg? 25kg? Q2. "...a wardrobe just feet from their bed" I think something is missing before 'feet'. Am I right? For example, 'a few'. Q3. In the last sentence, why is it 'her' instead of 'him'? Thanks in advance!
4
0
The English you find in journalism varies wildly, mostly dependant on the publication it appears in - but not always. Stone is used in the UK even though they went metric a long time ago. It's a good example of British cultural idiosyncrasy and confuses even Americans who share a language with us.
A "stone" is about 14 pounds, but this is a very outdated and uncommon usage in America. I don't think "just feet away" is wrong, but "just a few feet away" sounds better. You more often hear someone say "just inches away" or "just inches from his head." I think "her" in the last line is a mistake!
Bunch
English, Japanese, Korean