Madi
Professional Teacher
Rolling stone Can you please tell me how you define the word " rolling stone " in this lyric: love me even though I'm a motherfu...ing rolling stone. P.s.: I could look it up on the Internet but I think a native American speaker could tell me about the gist and sense of it.
2
0
The expression comes from the saying: "A rolling stone gathers no moss." This means that someone who frequently moves from one thing to another does not put down roots, develop life experience, and does not have a serious attitude to life. So a "rolling stone" usually has these negative connotations. A fairly close synonym is "drifter". Perhaps there are also situations where it has a more positive connotation of freedom - I can go wherever I want, whenever I want. Context is key but probably the meaning in your lyric is the negative one.
Madi
Azeri, Chinese (Mandarin), English, Persian (Farsi)