nowt000
"Be subject to" vs. "be subjected to" The sick man was subject to dizzy spells./ The sick man was subjected to dizzy spells. I am subject to frequent headaches./ I am subjected to frequent headaches. The oil platform was subjected to extreme weather./The oil platform was subject to extreme weather. The first examples in these pairs are attested ones. I was wondering if the second could maintain the same meaning.
2
0
Hello Subject to is an adjective Subjected to is a verb if something is 'subject to' something it means they are affected by that thing / prone to get that thing... e.g. He is subject to headaches - implies he gets them often. If someone is 'subjected to' something - this implies that someone's actions caused you to experience something (usually something unpleasant). E.g. I was subjected to two hours of questioning (meaning someone questioned me for 2 hours and it wasn't a nice experience). I was questioned for two hours doesn't mean it was an unpleasant experience necessarily. adding 'subjected to' adds more weight to it being unpleasant. Something can be 'subject to' something else (a condition) - e.g. The sale of this house is subject to the buyer paying a deposit by noon tomorrow (ie, if they don't make a deposit then the sale cannot continue). I hope this is of help. Thanks Paul
nowt000