JD Hyomin
I envy your new bag. Hi~ I've though after the verb 'envy' a person object should be positioned. But I saw the sentence, I envy your new bag. Is it right? Thank you for your help in advance.
5
0
You can envy's someone and also someone's ability or possession. I don't think the word "envy" sounds very good when used for something as mundane as a bag but I couldn't say the usage was wrong.
It should be: "I envy your/you having that new bag"
Hi Hyomin! The sentence, "I envy your new bag," is correct. It's more common to use "envy" with a person, for example: "Bob has a really fun job - I envy him!" But it's okay to use it with an object, too, for example: "I envy your job, Bob." It can get a little confusing as well because "envy" is also a noun. For example, you could say: "Bob's job is the envy of his friends." Which means that Bob's friends all wish they had Bob's job. It's a little complex, but I hope this helps! Matt
Yes thats gramatically correct.. if as a verb it is used like that.. though admittedly it couldve been expressed another way but its fine that way as well..straight to the point
JD Hyomin