nowt000
"Hold up" vs "hold on" When either of them is used to ask someone to wait, is there any perceptible difference between them?
7
1
Not really, I don't think there's a clear difference.
Hold on: 1. "Hold on" is more commonly used when doing something. For instance, if you are fixing or building something with your brother, and he starts putting something together which you shouldn't be doing just yet, you can say "Hold on. We have to put these parts together first." He would understand by this that what he was doing shouldn't be put together just yet. 2. Above when I was talking about the use of "Hold up", I also mentioned that "Hold on" could be used in the second example. However, I will explain why this is not common. Usually, in these types of situations, you would just say "Wait for me!" and this is a lot more "light and easy going". "Hold on" is more common in formal, serious situations. For example, if you are a child and you are eating dinner with your family, but want to get up and go to your room, your mom might say, "Hold on, you're not going anywhere until you finish your food!" or she could say, "Hold up! Where do you think you're going?" "Hold on" can also be used in arguments as an expression of realization, shock, or outrage. In an argument someone might say, "Hold on. When did I ever say that I didn't want to go to your party?!" or something like "Hold on! It was you who broke my vase!?!" However, whichever one you use, people will probably understand what you are trying to say. :) So don't worry about it too much, even though it is good to know the common uses of these words in social situation.
These terms may be used in many different ways. Hold up: 1. "Hold up!" can be said if someone is going ahead of you, and you are trying to catch up to them. When you say this, you basically just want them to know that you are coming or are asking them to wait. 2. "Hold up" can also be used if you don't want someone to leave just then. For example, if you are in a restaurant with your friends, and one of your friends gets up to go to the bathroom, you can say "Hold up! Wait for me!" You can also use "hold on" in this situation but it has a stronger "feel" to it, and is not so appropriate to use in a "walking situation" (I'll explain more later) 3. "Hold up!" can also be used when you are angry, mad, or frustrated. It's an expression used to express your "shock", "outrage", or just frustration during an argument. For example, people say "Hold up! Are you telling me that you purposefully disobeyed me?!" 4. You can also use "Hold up!" as an expression of shock or amazement during a friendly conversation. A friend might say, "Hold up! Did you really ask her out yesterday?"
Hi Nowt! These two phrases are basically identical in meaning. One slight difference in common use is that you might say "Hold up!" when somebody is talking too quickly or excitedly or is acting erratic. For example, if you're friend bursts into your room and starts telling you a story really quickly without taking a breath, you might say, "Hold up! Start the story again." Or another slight difference is if you're on the phone and you need the person to wait for a moment, you would say, "Hold on, I need to do something," not "Hold up." But either way, you would be understood, so don't stress too much about it. Happy studying! Matt
The difference is, when someone is moving away from you, you can say: Hold up! If you are waiting for someone while they something else, they will say, Hold on! I do not think these terms are interchangeable. If you and your friend are at a restaurant, but she leaves first and you notice her leaving, you will say "hold up." but if she is waiting for you to pack your bag, you might look at her and say, "hold on."
nowt000