chappyrick0705
A million miles away? 1) Is this common in American English? 2) Does this phrase have two meanings? a) A person who is not conscious about what is happening around him. b) Something that is completely different from something else. Polar opposite.
3
0
1) I'm not American but I think it's common everywhere. 2a) Yes. 2b) I guess technically not exactly opposites but practically. A better meaning might be "hugely different". It's also used to exaggerate physical distance and progress: "I live a million miles away from all my friends so they never want to come visit me." "Humans are a million miles away from curing cancer." (if you're playing a guessing game) "You'll never get it at this rate. You're a million miles away." You can just say "miles away".
It can have many meanings. One is you are physically far away from something or another person, and the distance is being exaggerated: "My girlfriend is only away at University, but it feels like she is a million miles away." Another can be you are "out of it" - not conscious of what is going on around you. "I asked him a question, but from his blank gaze it was obvious he was a million miles away."
chappyrick0705