Mikkel
Workshop I'm here talking about a room where you have tools and materials for working with something, woodwork/woodworking, for instance. Despite the “shop” in “workshop”, a workshop doesn’t have to be a part of a business, does it? If you like doing woodwork/woodworking, for instance, as a hobby without selling any products, you can still call it a workshop, can't you? Or would you then call it something else? Thanks for your help!
2 Kas 2016 17:47
10
0
Yes, in this case we would still call it a workshop, even when the things are being made as a hobby.
2 Kasım 2016
I've always called it a 'shop' Example: I'm going out to my shop to fix the toaster. This can be a corner of your garage, a portion of, or the entire basement, or a separate building at your home. I heard 'workshop' too. But in my experience it's a shop. As usual, context is key. If a person says he's going to his shop tomorrow morning and we know that he is a furniture builder then we know where he's going.
2 Kasım 2016
I think the scale of the room and equipment / facilities could play a factor in calling a work shed a workshop. It would have to be a serious and expensive hobby. If you had a double garage and it had a lot of workshop type equipment, such as: A vehicle pit to put your car over. Decent quality tools A hoist or car lift. Quality commercial type shelving and cupboards In those cases, the name workshop would be pretty apt.
2 Kasım 2016
A workshop is a room where you make things for a hobby or professionally, just the workshop is the place where the things are made not where they are sold. A workshop can also be a small event where you learn or practice a skill. E.g. Yoga workshop
2 Kasım 2016
You could, but the 'shop' part makes it sound quite serious and professional. We could also call it a workroom, or workshed if it's in a separate little building.
2 Kasım 2016
Mikkel
Chinese (Mandarin), Danish, English, German, Swedish
English, Swedish