Vika
Whats does 他下面 mean? I´m really sorry for this question, but my daughter´s educational video (it´s called Little Pim) translates 他下面 as "He´s making pasta". But Baidu search offers me some sexual photos instead... I´m confused. Definitely I don´t want to teach my daughter something that can be misunderstood... So, my question is how do you say "he is making pasta"? Can I use the word 做 instead of 下 and simply say 他做面? Thank you!
Nov 3, 2016 3:18 AM
7
1
The confusion stems from the unfortunate simplification for the "noodle"/pasta character. In the traditional form, it is written as 麵 and not 面 (surface, etc). So in the traditional form there is no ambiguity. In using the simplified form, you should use 面条 for clarification. The traditional form is 麵條
文中提到他在厨房里的动作是:【他在下面】意思同【他在煮面】,【他在做晚餐面条】,不是平时我们讲的方位词:他在下面
Haha it is a popular tricky Chinese problem. 下 is a verb here, means "make". Thus the right one is "He(他) makes (下) pasta(面)". However, it will not only confuse you but also other Chinese people. We don't say it like this. You can say 他正在下面。下面means stew noodle(we don't have pasta in China). 做面means make the dough into noodles.
面是noodles
In this example, you can use “煮,” which means to cook. And yes, 他下面 can carry a weird sexual connotation sometimes (depends on the context), so you probably wouldn’t want to use it.
Vika
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Russian, Spanish