Dinghui
2 questions: 1. What's the difference between "uncaffeinated" and "decaffeinated"? 2. We all grapple with nerves when we face some test of our abilities. To find out how the impulse to banish the butterflies works out, Allison Wood Brooks of the Harvard Business School turned to karaoke. She asked subjects to state that they felt either anxious, excited or calm before launching into song, regardless of how they actually felt. The result: the people who said they were excited received the highest marks for their musical prowess on the karaoke console. What does "To find out how the impulse to banish the butterflies works out" mean?
8
0
Chris is right, but I have to say that I've never seen 'uncaffeinated' in use. "No added caffeine" Or: "Caffeine-free" is what you'd see on a package, in my experience.
1. Uncaffeinated means there was no caffeine added. Decaffeinated means the caffeine was taken out. 2.It is a little unclear, but I believe the author is trying to say that they are figuring out how people keep from being nervous or get rid of their nervous energy.
If the word "butterflies" is confusing you, it's from the idiom "to have butterflies in your stomach". This describes the nervous anticipation before an event, eg. speaking in public, sitting an exam or meeting someone important. The other words "banish" and "impulse" are literal.
Dinghui
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Shanghainese), English, Japanese