Smoke
improve people’s awareness? Criminal trials on TV can improve people’s awareness of crime and law. Is it valid?
Nov 4, 2016 2:49 AM
3
1
First of all, I congratulate you on your English, which is grammatically correct, makes perfect sense, and seems reasonably natural, although I would perhaps put it just a bit differently. Rather than “is it valid?” we usually say “is this correct?” While “improve awareness” is perfectly valid (I can say that, because I’m an English teacher ;), and we do use that phrase occasionally, the more usual collocation is to “raise awareness.” The phrase “crime and law” is correct English, but it is not a standard phrase, and I don’t really know if watching criminal trials on TV is the best way to learn about crime. Personally, I would say something like “the criminal justice system,” or maybe “crime and punishment.” Um, wait, “Crime and Punishment” is the English translation of a famous 19th century Russian novel. I think the copyright has expired…. EDIT: I noticed that I had somehow omitted the words “is” and “a” in the first sentence of the last paragraph. I’ve gone back and corrected those typos so as not to confuse the learner.
Smoke