Bunch
Finding correct sentences. There is a question on an English book over which I was puzzled. You have to choose three sentences that are grammatically correc from the follwoing. (a) The movie, which I saw it last night, was a big hit. (b) You cannot have been pleasant in that situation. (c) During my trip, I met Juliet Robert, which was a famous actress. (d) It's been a long time since she last met her parents. She must have missed them so much. (e) He may have gone to Jeju island by plane. I guess (d) and (e) are correct sentences, but there is one more to choose. However, the rest of them don't sound right to me. Which one do you think is correct?The picture of the question: https://s17.postimg.org/n1ld6avmn/1478252077856.jpg
Nov 5, 2016 1:22 AM
3
1
B is grammatically correct, although there are relatively few situations where I would actually use the word “pleasant” in that context. Also, Americans would tend to say “couldn’t have” instead of “cannot have.” “Cannot have” is indeed a correct way to refer to the past, because of the use of “have,” but it seems more of a British thing to say that. BTW, as an exercise / double-check, you may want to state why the other two sentences are grammatically incorrect.
@Mike Stewart Thanks for correction. The things you corrected are what I certainly agree.
(a) and (c) sound incorrect. (a) "The movie, which I saw it last night, was a big hit." should just be "The movie, which I saw last night, was a big hit." [Remove the "it"] (c) "During my trip, I met Juliet Robert, which was a famous actress." should be During my trip, I met Juliet Robert, who is/was a famous actress." [Use "who" instead of "which" for people]
Bunch
English, Japanese, Korean