Andrey
Are=r. You=u. What else? I often heard English speakers used some short words instead of full long words (like u instead of you). Can you write some extra words? Are them useful in business? And how them call correctly? "Shortenings"?
9
0
Andrey - never, ever use "r," or "u," in business. If you have to use them at all, keep them for text messages only. ASAP - as suggested by John, would be fine to use in a business e-mail.
It's a huge mistake to use abbreviations such as "r" or "u" in regular English. You'll simply look like a non-native speaker who can't use English properly. You should know that native speakers write these words normally. You should too. :)
Yes, there are lots of words, they're helpfull specially texting is not recommended to use it in academic works and stuffs like that... Here you are a small list: R: are U: You CU: See you Gr8: Great Thx: Thank's Bcz: Because Pls: Please Bf: Boy friend cul8r: See you later 2: to 4:for 2nite: tonight I Hope it was helpfull 4 u.
Hi, Andrey. These abbreviations are very common in informal text messaging (not useful in business writing, I don't think). For more information, please check: http://www.webwasp.co.uk/define/SMS-text/s/index.php
I just want to reinforce what my fellow native speakers have said: English speakers DO NOT use these abbreviations in our everyday writing. Most of us never use them at all. Some people use them in texts if they are very short of time or have a limit on characters, but in other situations they should never be used. It goes without saying that they are totally inappropriate in business and academic contexts. What's more, they are also inappropriate in other everyday situations, however informal. Some non-natives write 'u' and 'coz' and suchlike in their italki posts, and all this does is make bad English worse. When we see a post which begins 'r u', we all know that it has been written by a non-native user, and often one who has a fairly limited command of English. Andrey, please....do yourself - and everyone else - a favour and forget about all of these useless abbreviations. Just write normal English words, the same as native speakers do.
Andrey
English, Russian, Ukrainian