mike29
differences between these sentences? Which one is correct of these?: "Look what I found" and "Look what I have found" "I don´t know where he went" and "I don´t know where he has gone" "I hope he didn´t borrow my T-shirt" and "I hope he hasn´t borrowed my T-shirt" "I didn´t buy anything today" and "I haven´t bought anything today"
2
0
In the US at least, native speakers will say all of these. Frequently, something "should" go into the present perfect tense, but people tend to use the simple past. For example: "Did you eat yet?" should really be "Have you eaten yet?" Most people wouldn't even think about the difference in a conversation. I have heard that some Brits think "Did you eat yet?" sounds odd. Are these sentences "incorrect" in the past tense? It depends on who(m) you ask. :)
From a conversational perspective, they are all correct. However, the first example in each case is less formal and, in my opinion, more commonly used. So, in other words, most people would say "I don't know where he went." But "I don't know where he has gone" is also correct. It just sounds a bit more formal. Similarly, "Look what I have found" is fine. But it is a bit more formal than "Look what I found." "I hope he hasn't borrowed my t-shirt" is also fine. But you will hear "I hope he didn't borrow my t-shirt" more often. And finally, "I haven't bought anything today" is also correct. But you will hear "I didn't buy anything today" more often in conversation. It sounds less formal.
mike29
English, Japanese, Slovak