Liu Siya
What's the difference between "exterior" and external"? 1) The picture shows the ( ) view of Cario International Conference Center. 2) All countries in the region have the right to protect themselves against ( ) threat. I think it's 1) exterior 2) external Am I right?
2
0
Either word is fine in sentence #1. In that sentence "external" and "exterior" mean the same thing, which is "the outside of the structure" or "the outside surface of the structure." However, in sentence #2, external must be used, because, in addition to meaning "the outside of a structure" external can also mean "coming or derived from an outside source." I hope that helps!
It's a good question. You are right on both. External and internal are used in connection with the two sides of a surface or container, in your case the borders of a country. Other surfaces or containers that you can use these words with are skin, walls, layers. Exterior and interior are used in connection with the more general areas with are either side of the surface e.g. interior decoration (of a house) , exterior/interior lighting.
Liu Siya
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German