Huy
had it suggested that Hi, This is an extract in an article: ""I think that’s a fabulous point, and that speaks so perfectly to the truth to the books, because I had it suggested that to me more than once that Harry actually did go mad in the cupboard, and that everything that happened subsequently was some sort of fantasy life he developed to save himself," said J.K. Rowling in the interview." Source: http://www.thisisinsider.com/harry-potter-never-left-his-cupboard-theory-2016-9 Could you please explain to me the meaning and the grammar structure of "had it suggested that"? What does "it" refer to? Thank you.
5
0
I had it suggested to me that ... = It was suggested to me that.. They are both passive constructions. "it" = the situation. "it" is a grammatical word. "to have" needs a direct object when it is a main verb. For now, I suggest that you learn the first one as an idiomatic alternative to the (more common) second one. However, others may be able to explain the grammar better than me. The first "that" is either a typo or JK made a mistake when speaking which the writer did not acknowledge in the text (though this theory is unlikely)
The "it" is the idea that "more than once that Harry actually did go mad in the cupboard, and that everything that happened subsequently was some sort of fantasy life he developed to save himself." To paraphrase you could have the sentence "I had it suggested to me that the fastest way home way by train," the 'it' here being the idea taking the train is the fastest way.
"...I had it suggested that..." is likely a misprint. It's probably "...I had it suggested to me more than once that...".
Huy
English, Vietnamese