Felix
Tenses Greetings. I read the below sentence on the Atlantic(http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/10/working-architectural-designer/505718/) and didn't understand why the present simple verb ''believe' was used in the clause after the past simple verb ''found''. It's against the grammar rule I have been taught. '' In a study earlier this year, the American Institute of Architects found that female architects largely believe that there isn’t gender equality in their industry, and cited familiar concerns about work-life balance, long hours, and inflexible schedules as reasons for the underrepresentation of women in the field.''
2
0
It's perfectly correct. They still believe this now, so it is appropriate to use a present simple.
I agree with Su.Ki. It’s the opinion of the writer of the article that there is no reason to think the female architects have changed their views since the study was made.
Felix
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, Japanese, Russian