Leo
"Out of" vs "from" Hello! Could you please help me with the following statement: Do we drink the wine, tea, beer, water "out of" the glass or "from" the glass? Do we get an information "out of" our minds or "from" our minds? Thank you!
4
0
I agree with Kaio. One thing that could help is to think about the opposites. From/to. They are about movement from a point of origin to a destination. So you can imagine getting information "from" a source, or place of origin for some reason that takes you "to" a goal, or destination. Out of/in (into). Here, there is a container of something. A container has limits. I need to get out of the country. I need to cross the border of the country which is like a container of land and "into" or "in" another one. In some situations, you can use both: e.g. I need to take money out of my bank account (container of money) e.g. I need take money from my bank account (source of money)
They are interchangeable in most situations but for example you wouldn't say "I am out of Russia". The correct way would be "I am from Russia". It just depends on what sounds natural. You could say that we drink out of a glass. You can also say we drink from a glass. Getting information out of your mind would imply you're trying to get rid of something. From your mind sounds better
Leo