Sebastián Chavarría
How do you differentiate two actions in a sentence? Well, I been learning korean since some time ago and this is one of the biggest questions I have. How do korean people distinguish the main action from a second one. I mean, when I want to say: "She went to buy a notebook", I know "went" would be in the final position, but what about "to buy"? Is there any particle that is meant to be used in these kind of cases?
Nov 6, 2016 1:58 AM
7
0
사다: to buy 가다: to go 사러 가다 = to go to buy as you can see above, we do it with conjugations. 사다 conjugates to 사러, and it's clear that it's the secondary verb. the primary verb conjugates according to the tense, mood, an honorifics. 그녀는 노트북을 사러 갔다. past, declarative, neutral 그녀는 노트북을 사러 갔습니다. past, declarative, formal 그녀는 노트북을 사러 갔어 past, informal 그녀는 노트북을 사러 간다 present, declarative etc Welcome to Korean. The conjugations may seem crazy, but there are hardly irregularities, just many rules.
Korean is far more versatile in connecting multiple verbs in different ways. Here are some introductory examples just to give you a taste of the myriads of different ways. - She went to buy a notebook. 그녀는 노트북을 사러 갔다 / ... 사기 위해 갔다 / ... 사려고 갔다. - She's been to the bank (= went to the bank and came back). 그녀는 은행에 갔다(가) 왔다. - He looked around, then shut the door. 그는 주위를 돌아보고(는) 문을 닫았다. - He slipped and fell. 그는 미끄러져 넘어졌다. - He came to know the secret. 그는 비밀을 알게 되었다. As you can see, the first verb has a different conjugation form like -러, -려(고), -다(가), -고(는), -아/어, etc. depending on its function, and the second verb follows it directly. Such verb conjugations and the particle usages which have a similar pattern are the two most important elements in learning Korean.
그녀는 공책을 '사기 위해' 갔다. To+Verb can be paraphrases as ~하기 위해
Sebastián Chavarría
English, German, Korean, Spanish
German, Korean