Hi please help me with these questions on the news I read. Thank you!
1.Prairie is a wide area of flat land without trees in Canada and the northern US. How do you say those flat land in other countries?
2. "Century-old buildings"., buildings with hundreds years of history? 100-900 years old? Or the buildings of last Century?
3. "Police cordoned off older parts of the town to keep away gawkers" What is " gawker"? I can't find it in the dictionary. A mistake?
4. "Emergency officials evacuated an assisted living center catering to the elderly in Cushing."
1),"Evacuated" is "to move people from a dangerous place to somewhere safe". What does it mean to evacuate a place?
2) What does "assisted living center " exactly mean?
3) "catering to" often disapproving, means to satisfy a need or desire that is unusual or unacceptable, so it is an exceptional meaning in this case without disapproving meaning?