Tito Shickst
Which is better? What do you guys think that is the best option to improve your knowledge about a language? I usually search for short to medium texts in my language so I try to translate them to the language I'm learning. But I could also write down it from my mind directly to the language that is being learned, which I find more difficult. What is your opinion? Translate to the language or write in the language you're learning? (I accept corrections in this entry, by the way) Thanks in advance.
6
0
Hi; I think that looking at documents you want to translate in the language you are trying to learn is better, because it anchors you more in the language you are studying. As well, if you begin with a text in your target language then you can assume it is 100% correct; a translation the other way around might not be necessarily so.
hi i think if you wrote text from your own will be better than translate
I always tell my students to write directly in the language. Otherwise, it's just plugging foreign words into English syntax and that results in some rather ridiculous language. I don't totally prohibit translations of English but I emphasize that they are interpreting rather than translating and they should be very careful of idiomatic phrases.
Tito Shickst
English, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
English, Italian, Spanish