mike29
Do native speakers make mistakes? My American professor recently said "I had to chose" and I wonder if that sentence is correct. Do native speakers make mistakes often? Thanks
10
0
It is more likely that your professor said "I had to choose" which is correct. 'to choose' is the infinitive, 'choose' or 'chooses' is the present tense, and 'chose' is the past tense.
I think you misunderstood your professor or he was testing you for comprehension. No native speaker would say that.
That is not a mistake which any native speaker would make. Your professor will have said 'I had to choose'. If the word sounded to you like 'chose', it was because of your interpretation of his or her particular accent - it would not be an error. There are many different ways of pronouncing the 'o' and 'oo' sounds in different native-speaker accents. The vowel sounds of an English speaker brought up in the American South are very different from those of someone from the Midwest, and very different again from a Bostonian or New Yorker, for example. This is an issue of phonology, not grammar.
Sure we make mistakes, don't you make any mistake in your mother tongue? =)
Do native speakers make mistakes? Yes, all the time. In the US (at least) part of school from 1st grade through high school is teaching us how not to make mistakes in English. American school kids spend a great deal time learning and re-learning spelling and grammar so that we make fewer mistakes. We still make them. Would a native speaker make that particular mistake? Probably not.
mike29
English, Japanese, Slovak