şeyda
the.. the.. structure Hi people! I wanna ask to you about this sentence: "the child’s ability to discern the goal the other is trying to accomplish, is the key element in instrumental helping." In this sentence, what is 'the goal the other' meaning?
3
0
Here it means 'the goal WHICH/THAT the other is trying to accomplish'. This is an occasion where the which/that can be deleted, so the the___ the___ construction is purely accidental, but is grammatically fine.
I'm not sure of the outward context of this sentence but I assume that this is something about children's interaction with each other. I will make the sentence more correct for you. What this sentence has is called poor word choice. While there are thousands of confusing ways to put things that are grammatically correct, not all of them are the best idea. Ill rephrase this sentence now, to the best of my ability, so that you can better understand it. The Child's ability to discern the goal the other child is trying to accomplish, is the key element in instrumental helping. let me know if you have any questions.
şeyda
English, Swedish, Turkish
English, Swedish