Sandy
What's the difference between alcohol and wine?
3
0
The word alcohol most often means ethanol, CH3CH2OH, a drug that makes you feel good. Beer is about 5% alcohol, wine is about 10% alcohol; brandy, whiskey, gin and vodka are about 50% alcohol. Alcohol can also mean a family of related chemical substances, "the alcohols." Alcohol can also be used broadly to mean "everything with alcohol in it." These sentences all mean the same thing: "I don't drink alcohol." "I don't drink anything alcoholic." "I'm a teetotaler." (Rare but you will read it in books). "I don't drink." (Common at the actual moment when someone offers you something alcoholic). Wine is grape juice that's been allowed to sit, unrefrigerated. When juices with sugar at left to sit, yeast gets into it. Yeast converts sugar to alcohol. The process is called fermentation. Fermented grape juice is wine. Fermented apple juice is cider. Fermented barley is beer. Fermented rice is sake. Fermentation creates beverages with 5-10% alcohol. Then the process stops because the alcohol kills the yeast. The beverage can be distilled--heated, evaporated, condensed. This concentrates the alcohol. Wine becomes brandy. Fermented and distilled grain mash becomes whiskey. Fermented and distilled potatoes become vodka.
Hi Sandy, I love this question... mostly because it contains the best beverage in the world. Alcohol is the substance that we get from (usually) fermented fruit or sugar. It's is in all the 'alcoholic beverages'. Wine is a beverage we get from fermented grapes (usually) which go through a very interesting process, and it becomes the beverage we so love. You can basically say: All alcoholic beverages contain alcohol, and wine is one of them. I hope this helps. Aleks
Alcohol is a “substance” (the "thing" that makes you drunk). Wine contains alcohol. So do other alcoholic drinks, like beer or whiskey for instance.
Sandy