Alan Y.L
Preguntas sobre estas dos oraciones Tengo preguntas sobre estas dos oractiones que yo vi en la tele: 1. No se lo digas a Lola. What is "se" doing here? 2. Mirame a mi. If "Mirame" already means "Look at me.", why do we say "a mi" again? Another question related to both sentences: since they both are giving commands to "you", why in #1 we use "digas" but in #2 we use "mira". Thanks in advance!
Nov 9, 2016 2:21 AM
10
0
Question number 2. Mirame a mí...you should not be confused cause this one means Look at me. But Mirame a mí is a phrase with double meaning. When you are telling someone Mirame a mí it implies , don´t look anyone else. If you only say Mirame..It could just mean..Look at me without implying that you do not look something else. The same applies to all the other similar words. Odiame a mí Amame a mí Quiereme a mí Pegame a mí Etc. Easy right? Lets go to question number 3. I do not quite understand your third question but... Digas can also be Digame, or Digame a mí. and Mira can also be -No se lo mires a Lola- If you can explain your third question maybe I can help you.
Wow hard questions ...I´ll try to explain. No se lo digas a Lola . Se is a word that indicates an action for example. No se enoje . Do not be mad No se peleen. Do not fight No se duerma .Do not sleep No se enojen.(plural) No se pelee ( formal to another person normally older) No te pelees ( When you are telling just one person, you have to change LE for TE) In other words Le could be like...No se enoje-Do not get mad (yourself) No se enojen ( Do not get mad yourselves) . So as you can see SE is similar to WILL in english , the meaning depends on the verb after it . And when you are telling just one person you have to change SE for TE. What happens if we use SE or TE incorrectly? Se ví llorar (wrong) This has no meaning and would confuse any native spanish speaker Te ví llorar( I saw you cry) This one is correct cause you are telling your girlfriend you saw her crying. Se ven muy contentos ( They/you look very happy) in this case the you is plural. Te ven muy contentos ( They are very happy looking at you) This one changes the meaning of the phrase. Te ven muy contento ( They see you very happy) In this case the substantive changes the meaning again , making this prhase singular. Now lets try LO. Lo is an article used always before the verb. No se lo rompas ( do not break it to him) Here you specify whose object is the one that you should not break. No lo rompas ( do not break it) Without SE you are just saying do not break it No los rompas (do not break them) if you add the S to LO it becomes plural No se los rompas ( do not break them to them) Here you specify that the object belongs to more than one person and also that is more than one object. Ok now No se lo digas a Lola means Do not tell Lola (this) No le digas a Lola means Do not tell Lola Lets get into another context lets say they are talking about beautiful words. No se las digas a Lola means Do not tell Lola ( the beautiful words)
Both are for give more intensity to the sentence, when we repit the indirect object so : Se= Lola Look at me....= really look at me.
Hi, you are right "Mírame " is "look at me" so it's a pleonasm. I found this shot explanation it's in Spanish though... La palabra mírame se entiende como me (a mí) mires. http://ley.exam-10.com/law/6080/index.html?page=5 , here you can find some other examples of Pleonasms and their explanations Actually when a word ends with "~me" (miraME, hablaME, contestaME...) it's refereeing to you. I cannot explain you what "se" does on the second phrase, i only know it has sense, maybe it makes the phrase kind of specific, but I'm not sure. I don't understand what you meant about "mira" and "digas", could you be more specific or give an example please. Borh are different verbs and when you say "mirame" you are giving a command to somebody to do something to you. "mira" only means "look"
You can write in this way: No le digas eso a Lola - Do not tell that to Lola Mirame - Look at me
Alan Y.L
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Spanish
Spanish