Aquarelle
What should I say? Hi friends, Please, would you tell me what is the difference between saying.... or...... Alike or The same A lot or Many Wish or Hope A little bit or Few May be or Perhaps Sick or ill Say or tell I always have difficulties with that. Thank you for your help.
10
0
alike vs. the same: "alike" means similar, so not 100% the same (although some people do say "we look exactly alike" to mean "we look exactly the same") a lot vs. many: Same meaning but "a lot" can also mean "very much". For example: "I like you a lot" wish vs. hope: This one isn't easy. "wish" is a little bit like praying, wanting something in the future or past to change. Compare: - I wish you didn't do that. - You did it and I'm unhappy about it. I would prefer if things had gone differently. - I hope you didn't do that. - I don't know whether you did it but I have a preference about it. But then "I wish you a good day" and "I hope you have a good day" are more or less the same. a little bit vs. few: If you mean "a little bit of", then it's used with uncountable nouns, whereas "few" is with countable nouns: "a little bit of time" or "a few minutes" Otherwise, "a little bit" is used like this: "I like you a little bit" may be vs. perhaps: I guess you mean "maybe". In this case, I think they are more or less the same. But "may be" and "maybe" are different. sick vs. ill: As verbs, it is hard to explain the differences. It depends on the problem. say vs. tell: Usually, you can say "say [sth] to [sb]" or "tell [sb] [sth]", but we normally use "tell" with a person. Compare: - Say my name. - Say my name to him. - Tell him my name. Also, "tell" implies it is something they don't already know.
There is thus a slight grammatical difference; "to tell" requires that the object be the listener or recipient, and what is/was communicated becomes the object complement. With "to say", what is said is the object, unless a preposition is used to insert a listener as an object.
I explained wish and hope in my notebook.
alike follows a verb and no noun is needed after it (Me and my brother think alike.) like can be used as a preposition after a verb thus a noun or noun phrase is needed after it (I think like my brother OR My brother thinks like me). the same is usually followed by the preposition 'as' and means exactly the same as thus it bears more similarity than 'like'. (My way of thinking is the same as my brother's OR My way of thinking and my brother's are the same.)
Lots of people need jobs now anyway. They are all used to mean "a large quantity" but it depends on what you are talking about. "Much" is used for uncountable nouns, "Many" is used for countable nouns, whereas "a lot of" and "lots of" are used in both cases.
Aquarelle
Arabic, English, French