Kevin
Pull off and/or bring off? Hi, I found that "pull off" and "bring off" both mean to succeed in doing something despite difficulties but what is more commonly used? Are there nuances? Examples: He pulled it off. He brought it off.
3
0
I can't speak for the UK but in the US, I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone use the term "to bring off". It exists, and there appear to be nuances, but I've actually never heard it used. Having said that, I did search a bit online and the difference between them seems to me the implicit difficulty. To pull something off tends to defy a greater expectation of failure. Where "to bring off" might simply mean to accomplish something, "to pull off" seems to mean "did you surprise everyone with your accomplishment".
He pulled it off = He succeeded
I searched "bring off" and "brought off" on fraze.it and I couldn't see any examples of the verb with your meaning. It does sound familiar, it is in the dictionary [http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/bring-off] and I'm sure I've seen it a few times, but "pull off" is more common in my experience.
Kevin
English, Filipino (Tagalog), French, Gaelic (Irish), Norwegian
English, Filipino (Tagalog), Gaelic (Irish), Norwegian