Vítor
Indirect speech Hi guys :) How would you say (in daily life) this sentence in indirect speech: John : "When I leave, I will close the windows". John told me that _____________________________. Thanks! [Feel free to correct my English mistakes ^^]
Nov 12, 2016 12:14 AM
6
0
I think Alex's answer is correct, but the natural way that I would say it in everyday conversation is like this: "John told me he would close the windows when he left." (If John has already left) OR "John told me he will close the windows when he leaves." (If John hasn't left yet)
In that case, it should be: John: I closed the windows when I left (if John is speaking with someone and he already did the action) John: I'll close the windows when I leave (if John is speaking with someone before he does the action)
...when he leaves he'll close the windows (if John is most likely still in the place) ....when he left he would close the windows (if John has most likely left the place)
Vítor
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German, Hebrew, Italian, Spanish