patricia
Is The paper wrote something like this"We love you".? 1. I found the paper, which read something like this"we love you.". In this sentence, can we use "write" and "say" to replace "read"?? 2. I often find in some TV dramas the sentence pattern like"My parents didn't raise no bad guys.", which seems to be a positive statement, instead, it means My parents didn't raise bad guys, a negative statement? I really don't get it. Anyone can help me? Thanks so much!
Nov 12, 2016 2:11 AM
3
0
Technically what merrit is saying could make sense but I think it is confusing. When the sentence was spoken, it was not their intent to say "my parents raised a bad guy." It was a simple misuse of words. So yes, be aware that sometimes people will misuse those words and use a "double negative" but are not actually meaning for the two "negatives" to cancel out. Although depending on the context, someone could be intentionally doing so, I suppose.
When someone uses two negatives "didn't," and "no," this is called a double negative. In essence, they are actually cancelling out the negative. Two negatives in a sentence is a positive. The person is literally saying, "My parents raised a bad guy." haha
I'm not sure I understand your first question. But to answer your second question, the phrase "my parents didn't raise no bad guys" is just improper grammar/English. By using "didn't" (did not) there was no need to add "no" to the sentence. It would be "my parents didn't raise bad guys"
patricia
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Other), English, Japanese