Dinghui
3 questions: The data doesn’t mean that all comedians are cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. But these psychotic tendencies may actually help promote lateral thinking and an ability to connect far-fetched ideas to come up with comical conclusions. [Oswalt:] “That abiding belief in the coming Road Warrior wasteland, that’s the reason I tried to go off my meds.” 1. What's the meaning of "The data doesn’t mean that all comedians are cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs." 2. "an ability to connect far-fetched ideas to come up with comical conclusions." in this sentence, "A connect to B" or "A connect with B"? 3. What does “That abiding belief in the coming Road Warrior wasteland, that’s the reason I tried to go off my meds.” mean?Context: Have you ever gone to see some comedian and thought, man, that guy is nuts! [Comedian Patton Oswalt:] “So in my head, I’m like, well I’m clearly going to be being chased by mutants on motorcycles.” Well, you may have hit the nail on the head. Because new research finds that comedians show high levels of psychotic personality traits. The study appears in The British Journal of Psychiatry. [Victoria Ando, Gordon Claridge and Ken Clark, Psychotic traits in comedians] Creativity is often associated with mental health issues. Think Edgar Allan Poe, Vincent Van Gogh, Michael Jackson. But what about comedians? Psychologists gave more than 500 funnymen a personality test that assesses traits associated with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. And they found that the comics score higher than uncreative types, and even higher than actors, on a range of psychotic traits, including fear of intimacy, impulsive behavior, difficulty focusing and a belief in the paranormal. The data doesn’t mean that all comedians are cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. But these psychotic tendencies may actually help promote lateral thinking and an ability to connect far-fetched ideas to come up with comical conclusions. [Oswalt:] “That abiding belief in the coming Road Warrior wasteland, that’s the reason I tried to go off my meds.”
Nov 13, 2016 9:54 AM
5
0
Hi Dinghui, 1. "cuckoo" is slighted dated slang for "crazy". The expression "cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs" comes from a long-running series of adverts for that cereal. (An example here: https://youtu.be/Y1CBftRW0F8). In the adverts a cuckoo bird (a specific species) is shown to be "cuckoo" (crazy) for the product (i.e. he loves it so much, he'd do anything to get them). From these adverts, "cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs" became a comic euphemism for saying someone is crazy/mad/nuts/insane. 2. A connects to B: for a comedian, one far-fetched idea + another far-fetched idea = comical conclusions 3. This is another cultural reference. I believe it's to "Mad Max 2" (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Max_2), though I couldn't say for certain. In terms of the language, Oswalt is saying: "I had to stop taking my drugs ("meds" = usually prescribed medication) because I was convinced (he had an "abiding belief") that the world would change (it's "coming") into the Road Warrior wasteland (which I believe is a reference to the setting of "Mad Max 2")." The inference is he believed his medication was causing him anxiety-related, possibly hallucinogenic, dread ... so he stopped taking it. Jon
Myself. Do you have any better ideas for learning acdemic English?
Who on earth would assign this as a learning exercise?!??
Dinghui
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Shanghainese), English, Japanese