Shirley
Particles and causative? Can someone please explain how and when to use which particles with the causative grammar form? For example, How would you say "I made my friend swim at the pool." 友達をプールでおよがせる。? I made my friend eat with chopsticks? 友達をはしでたべさせる。? Is that right?
Nov 14, 2016 6:12 AM
3
0
I made my friend swim at the pool. 友達をプールでおよがせた。("Made" is past, so およがせた is correct.) --> It's correct and sounds very natural. I made my friend eat with chopsticks 友達をはしでたべさせた。(made = past of make) --> In my opinión, the word by word translation doesn't work perfectly in this case. I would say: 友達にはしで食べてもらった。(I had/made my friend eat with chopsticks.) or 友達にはしをつかわせた。(I made my friend use chopsticks.) *One more small thing, we generaly say おはし, with polite お, instead of はし. I hope this helps you.
"I made my friend swim at the pool." →友達をプールで泳がせた。(If you "made", "泳がせる" is not correct. If you want to say "I'll make my friend swim at the pool", you can say "友達をプールで泳がせる")。 "I made my friend eat with chopsticks" →友達に箸で食べさせた。(and it is the same as the above.) and...if you say "友達をはしでたべさせる", it means..."I"ll make someone eat my friend with chopsticks."!((((( ;゚Д゚))))) So please not to do such a cruel act. Please.lol I hope it will help you :D
「私は(A) 友達(B)に ~させる」 has meaning of force(command) to do something So that , relation between A and B is like parents and child , employer and employee , a king and knight. 友達をプールでおよがせる。= 私は友達をプールでおよがせる。 I feel that "私” is something extremely rich person or who has strong power. If you want to express the relation , it is ok! (If the friends are your slaves , no problem! Let them swim!) Even if the relation is strong and weak , most of Japanese don't want to show off their power. So the anwer could be ・・・. 友達にプールでおよいでもらう(もらった) I ask(ed) friends to swim at the pool. 子供(child)をプールでおよがせる。 If you change a word "child" instead of "friend",it is natural and usual saying.
Shirley
Japanese