Bud
"to omoimasu" meaning The Japanese phrase "to omoimasu" is translated in English as "I think". However, "I think" in English can have two basic meanings: 1. To express doubt or uncertainty. Example: It is going to rain, I think. (It looks like rain, but I'm not sure.) 2. To express an opinion or view. Example: I think she is pretty. (In my opinion, she is pretty.) Which of the two English uses does the phrase "to omoimasu" best correspond to? Thanks.
4
0
Basically, Japanese " to omou" also has the same meanings as English, but I THINK the second example meets your question. As for the first example, I can replace "I think" with "I guess" because of uncertainty. As for the second example, I have no idea except "I think". Hope this will help
Even expressing strong suggestion , "と思い.ます" is used to pretend politeness.
In my experience, both meanings can be implied in Japanese as well, depending on the context. However, in Japanese, it is often used to soften ones opinion too; to be more polite.
I think 1 is included in 2. So both can correspond to "to omoimasu". And many Japanese use it as "humility" again and again. This is true :D. I hope it will help you.
Bud
Japanese