Bunch
What does change one's newspapers mean? How about tiny mole? I watched an animation movie titled "Up". There is a scene where an old man and a kid meet a giant bird. The kid liked it and asked the old man if they could keep the bird, but the old man refused. Then, the kid said "I'll get the food for him. I'll walk him. I'll change his newspapers." Is it a set phrase or something? change one's newspapers? And the adventurous kid afterwards says, "An explorer is a friend to all, be it plants or fish or tiny mole." What does tiny mole mean here? And about "be it", how does it work? What's the meaning? Could you help me understand the grammar with another example, please?
Nov 15, 2016 1:30 AM
7
0
a tiny mole just means a mole...as they are all relatively tiny. the use of "be it" is in that order is simply a more formal way of saying if it is one thing or another.
Birdcages are lined with newspaper. That is, sheets of newspaper are spread out in the bottom of the cage. The newspaper is absorbent and catches the bird's droppings. The newspaper gets dirty quickly. It has to be changed--that is, the dirty newspaper is removed and replaced with fresh, clean newspaper. It is a chore, part of work that needs to be done to keep a bird. Children often want pets. Parents and children often make deals. The parent will allow the child to have the pet if the child does the work of taking care of it. The kid is promising to do all the things that need to be done to take care of the bird.
Bird cages are often lined with newspaper, hence that particular phrase.
Bunch
English, Japanese, Korean