Geri
Community Tutor
Looking forward to hear how it {to be} Case 1: Mary had an interview yesterday, so today John would send her the following message: I am looking forward to hear how was the interview. Case 2: Mary will have an interview later today. She hasn't had it so far. John already asks her about it: I am looking forward to hear how {to be} the interview. How should John conjugate the verb to be in this case?
Nov 15, 2016 5:58 AM
4
0
In both situations, I'd say "I'm looking forward to hearing how the interview went." (or "I'm looking forward to hearing about the interview")
First I'd like to make some corrections to the original sentence. The word order is wrong. You'd also "look forward to something", and thus you'd use a gerund in this case. For Case 1 it should be "I am looking forward to hearing how the interview was", and in Case 2 "I am looking forward to hearing how the interview {to be}". The correct conjugation of "to be" in Case 2 would be "is"; having said that, it sounds awkward to me to use a conjugation of "to be" at all in both cases. For Case 1 I'd say "I am looking forward to hearing how the interview went", and for Case 2 "I am looking forward to hearing how the interview goes".
Geri
Arabic (Levantine), English, Hebrew, Spanish
Arabic (Levantine), English, Spanish