Rebecca
Spanish writing: punto y seguido Hello y buenos días, Could someone please explain the concept of "punto y seguido" as in Spanish writing (Iberian please, if the specification is applicable)? Having never received formal instruction in Spanish-language composition, my English-language conventions do not fit my attempts at Spanish composition. The concept, directly translated, does not make sense in English because the entire purpose of a point/full stop/period is to STOP. It does not make sense to continue with an idea after a '.' . You would place whatever more you want to say before the '.', or rearrange the sentence, or accept that you must form a second complete idea in a second sentence. In sum, a) what does the "punto y seguido" look like? b) When is it used? and c) Why is it used (compared to "dos puntos/colon : , punto y coma/semicolon ; , coma/comma , or simply beginning a new thought)? Thank you very much!
5
0
Hi, Rebecca. I'll try to make a good explanation for you here. We use the "punto y seguido" when we are talking about the same topic, but we want to introduce an idea which is different to the former idea. E.g. "Pedro era un buen estudiante de inglés. Su familia vivía en las afueras del pueblo(...)" -> We're talking about that person, but first we talk about him and then we talk about his family, so the ideas are different but the topic is the same. We use the "coma" when we are following the same idea, but we're making a separate sentence. E.g. -Pedro es un buen estudiante. -Pedro no es bueno con el inglés. Both ideas have the same topic (this person) and the same idea (describing him) but we need two different sentences because one is positive and the other is negative: "Pedro es un buen estudiante, pero no es bueno con el inglés". Of course, we also use "comas" to make clarifications and enumerations. We use "dos puntos" when the second idea is a result or an explanation of the first idea, or when we're going to start an enumeration. E.g: "Pedro es un buen estudiante: siempre saca buenas notas". We use the "punto y aparte" when we change the topic. E.g: "Pedro es un buen estudiante de inglés. Un día, Pedro caminaba hacia su clase(...)" I'm not sure if these was clear to you... I'm going to make an example combining those different punctuation marks: "Ayer me encontré con mi amiga María, a la que hacía tiempo que no veía. Estaba muy cambiada: se había cambiado completamente el look. Mientras hablaba con ella, sonó mi móvil. Al responder, vi que era mi jefa, que me llamaba por mi nuevo puesto de trabajo.” I hope it helped, at least a bit. Have a nice day!
Hello Rebecca, we use "punto seguido" to separate diferents ideas in a text, before the "punto seguido" you are talk about one thing after the "punto seguido" you will talk about other stuff. we use "coma" to separate words, for example I will buy an apple, orange and bananas. we use "dos puntos" like a "coma" for example I will buy: apples, bananas and potatos, another example for "dos puntos", repeat 10 times the following words: work, play, drink and stay.
Rebecca
English, French, Spanish, Swedish
French, Swedish