Ppman
come / go take/ bring so confusing? Help~ 1When do you come home? I am going home/ coming home soon which is correct? 2 When do you go home? I am going home/ coming home soon Which is correct? 3 I am at school. There will be a party at my home. My friend says, “ Can I bring my frined / take my friend to your party?” I said, “ Yes, you can bring friends/ take friends to my party.” Which is correct? Thank you so much.
Nov 17, 2016 6:30 AM
13
0
Come home- use when youre talking to someone at home. If your mom calls and asks when you are coming home. Going home- talking to someone not at your house. You are in progress of going to your home. Same rules. If the person is at home- come. if the person is not at home- going. "there will be a party at my house." "Can I bring a friend." "Yes you can bring a friend." "Are you going to Jessica's party?" "Yeah and I am bringing/taking my friend Joe." either is fine here
Think about the direction; this is the key in telling the difference between come and go or take and bring. Go/take - these are actions performed away from the speaker's present location. So, for example, if the speaker is at school: "Are you going to the mall this afternoon, Becky?" - The speaker is talking about a location (mall) that is away from where they are currently (school). "Please do not take your books home with you, leave them in the classroom." - the speaker is instructing everyone not to remove their books (away from the classroom) from the present location (the school). Come/bring - These actions are performed outside the perception of the speaker and is directed toward the speaker's current location or where they will eventually be. For example, using the school as an example again: "Billy didn't come to our science class today. I wonder what's wrong" - the person outside the speaker's perception (away from school) did not appear in their current location (the school) as expected. "I'll bring my homework to class on Tuesday." -The speaker will move their homework from one location (probably their home) to the current location (the class). I hope these examples make things a bit clearer for you, so you can understand the sentences you wrote a little better as well. Let me know if you need more assistance. Good luck!
Both are correct. Take is to bring along Take in this instance is to bring with you. Bring is to take with you. In this example the words are interchangeable. Example: I will take my dog to the animal hospital. Example: I will take my car in for service. I am going (future) home later. This is what you would say to someone that is not at your home. I am coming (present) home now. This is what you would say to someone who is presently at your home. The word take can also be used as: I will take the coffee from you. OR I will bring you coffee to you. Take can mean bring, but it can also mean receive, transport, or tolerate. You can say: Ex. 1: I will take it from you. (Receive) Ex. 2: I will take it to you. (Transport) Ex. 3: I don't have to take that kind of talk from you. (tolerate / receive) In the above 3 examples you would never say bring instead of take in Ex. 1 or Ex. 3. However you could use bring in place of take in Ex. 2 with the same meaning. Great question, very confusing.
1) I'm COMING home soon. 2) I'm GOING home soon. 3) Can I TAKE my friend to your party? Yes you can BRING friends to my party.
These word pairs are directional, and sometimes ambiguous, like when talking about going home to someone who is currently situated there. The confusion is compounded by interference from one's native language. For instance, the pairs take-bring(带)and lend-borrow(借)are represented in Chinese by single characters. When in doubt, in English, I would say the more courteous approach is to speak from the other person's vantage point. "Mother, I am coming home soon". "May I bring a friend to your party?" "Yes, you may bring a friend to the party".
Ppman