zuotengdazuo
Bare infinitive? I know this grammar rule that if the subject contains "do", the predicate "to be" is usually followed by the bare infinitive form of the verb in the object. But what if the subject contains "does" "done" or "doing"? For example: 1.What he usually does after he gets up is put/putting on the coffee. 2.What should have been done in that situation is evacuate/evacuating immediately. 3.What he resents doing is say/saying "no" to the offer of his friends. In these cases, what form of the verb immediately after "be" should we adopt? Bare infinitive?Present participle?Either way? Thank you.
9
0
1. Put 3. Saying Sentence two does not, in my view, read well in the way that you have written it. We would be much more likely to say: "What should have happened is that an immediate evacuation should have occurred." OR "What they should have done is to have evacuated immediately."
1.He usually put on the coffee after he gets up. (same with your original sentence) 2.What should have been done in that situation is evacuate/evacuating immediately. I suppose this sentence is wrong..
zuotengdazuo
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese