Suade سُعَادٌ
The pronunciation of " sought". I'm a bit confused about how "sought" word is pronounced. I know that words like "strength" and "lenght" are sometimes pronounced with "K" sound before "ht" like "strengkth". Is sought also pronounced with "k" sound? I've never heard it being pronounced this way until today while I was watching the press conference of the president Barack Obama with the German chancellor Angela Merkel. During his speech, Barack obama used the word "sought". When he said it I felt that he pronounced it with "k" sound. I don't know If my notice was correct or not and I want to know from you, italki comunity. Thank you.
23
0
Can you post a link to where you heard this? To my knowledge "sought" is never pronounced this way in modern English. It's very possible there is a dialect somewhere where this is the case - "gh" used to make the sound of a German "ch" in English, and there have been dialects in English where the German "ch" sound became a hard "k" sound it became silent in other dialects (the latter of which became the standard pronunciation of English). I know there are parts of Lowland Scotland where "gh" is still pronounced with the original German "ch" sound, so it's very possible there's somewhere where the "gh" in "sought" is pronounced with a hard "k". Having said that, I would be very, very surprised if such a pronunciation turned up somewhere in the US. I would expect such a dialect that preserves this pronunciation would be somewhere in rural Britain, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
There's no "k" sound and I'm sure President Obama would not have said a "k" sound deliberately, if at all. In most UK English accents, it is /sɔːt/
In American English "ough" has 6 different sounds: o though oo through uf rough off cough aw thought (sought) s aw t ow bough No "k" sound. Maybe just a bad recording.
Agreed on the previous answer. I'm from the U.S. and have the same accent as Barack Obama. You would pronounce "sought" like "s awe t." In this word the "gh" is silent and the "t" is pronounced. I'm no teacher, but the "k" sound seems to appear in these kinds of words where there is a "gth" at the end. Like in "strength." or "length."
Hi, 'sought' is usually pronounced the same as "sort", with the same end sound as 'thought', 'bought', or 'caught'. I can only be 99% sure on that for British English though. Hope this helps
Suade سُعَادٌ
Arabic, English