youkoufiona
thought concerns Question 1: Buffett said he was not surprised to see the market rally after Trump won. He thought concerns the market would tank due to Trump were "silly." The second sentence doesn't sound right to me in terms of grammar. First, I think the "market" should be the subject of the clause, then how to explain "he thought concerns" ? Does "concerns" belong to the main sentence - "he thought" or belong to the clause? Question 2: I'm looking for a word that works in the situation below: The professor asked us to bring an outline of the paper to the class. I didn't have a clue about the paper but I was afraid to be blamed by him, so I made up something that I knew it didn't make sense. But it was definitely better than nothing. At least, it showed that I have worked on it. Question is, when my classmate asked me: "Hey, how's you paper?" I answered: “I just made up something to XX the professor” What word, or verb, should I use in my answer to replace the "XX"?
7
0
The second sentence in question 1 is incorrect grammatically, not because market isn't the subject (it is) but whoever wrote it left some words out. It should read "he thought THE concerns THAT the market would tank due to Trump were silly." That's all.
"Concerns" is a noun here. It is not a verb. It means something like "situations or possibilities that you are worried about." Let me simplify this sentence and compare it to another easy sentence. "I think that pizza is delicious." He thought (that) concerns [ (that) the market would tank] [due to Trump] were silly. I ....think.......that pizza.....................................................................................is......delicious.
Hi youkoufiona! The first sentence you asked about is grammatically correct, but I can see how it can be confusing. It might be easier to think of it like this: "There were concerns that the market would tank due to Trump, and Buffet thought those concerns were silly." For your second question, you might use "to please" or "to satisfy". Happy studying! Matt
He thought (object) object = concerns were silly
youkoufiona