Tiffany lam
Help! the passive sentence is hardly to understand ● The straggling unmade road was lined on either side by the house. Simple form: the road was lined by the house It‘s passive sentence(被动句,i'm from china), right? Q: Does the subject is the road?? or the house especailly is in here? A: so the sentence means whether the road lies the sides of the house? B: or the sentence means whether the house perches on the sides of the road? which is correct? for other examples: ● The side of the lake was lined by trees. literal translation(直译):湖畔被树排列。 it's awkward. actually, the sentence is translated as: "湖畔(on the side of the lake)树木成行" but, 树木(trees)成行(as rows)中,树木是主语(trees are the subject, no the side of the lake)
Nov 18, 2016 6:21 AM
5
0
"The straggling unmade road was lined on either side by the house." Since a house can normally only be on 1 side of a road, I think you mean something like: The straggling unmade road was lined on either side by houses. 在泥泞弯曲道路的两边排列着房子。 @Nelson: The straggling unmade road was lined on either side by houses. To understand this sentence, take away all unnecessary information (always do this for difficult sentences): The road was lined by houses. [something] was [in some state or condition] Example: [I] was [angry] [The road] was [lined] means 'The road has lines on it.' If you wish to indicate how the road was lined, use an adverb of manner or instrument: [The road] was [lined] [how] [The road] was [lined] [by houses] means 'Along the sides of the road there were houses in rows.' 我翻译这样:“沿着公路的两旁有一排排的房子。“ although my Chinese is not reliable. I think you get the idea! compare: [The road] was [lined] [how] [The road] was [lined] [with yellow stripes every 5 metres] means 'The road had yellow stripes painted on it every 5 metres.' Since 'the road' did not put 'the houses' there, you can say this is a passive sentence. However, the distinction passive / active is not at all well defined in English. If I say, "I fell over." is this active or passive??
Tiffany lam
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German, Japanese
English, German, Japanese